Thursday, September 20, 2012

Cafe Rio Sweet Pork

I've mentioned my love of Cafe Rio before.  This probably won't be the last time I talk about it.  I made a modified version tonight which included my three favorite Cafe Rio elements:  cilantro lime rice, creamy tomatillo dressing, and the sweet pork.  We had burrito bowls that went something like this from bottom to top:  rice, black beans, pork, pico de gallo, tomatillo dressing, and cotija cheese.  It was pretty much amazing, if I do say so myself.  These flavors create a taste sensation.  I'm so happy I have leftovers for lunch tomorrow.

Coming soon . . . recipe for creamy tomatillo dressing


CAFE RIO SWEET PORK
 (Serves 12-15 people)
  • 7-8 pounds boneless pork butt or shoulder (use a 3-4 pound roast if you're not making it for a big crowd)
  • 4 cups root beer
  • 4 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
  • 4 tablespoons molasses or honey
  • 3 teaspoons minced garlic
  • 2 cups brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • pepper to taste
  • 4 teaspoons cumin

NOTE:  The above makes A LOT of sauce.  If you're using a small roast, half the sauce.  Or, you can freeze the extra.  I did that this last time and it made things a little quicker and easier. 
Salt and pepper the pork and cook in crock pot 8 hours or overnight on low in a small amount of water.
In the morning remove the roast from the crockpot and pull apart with fork, removing fat. (This is not my favorite part, but well worth it in the end.) 
NOTE:  Do not overshred the pork or it will turn mushy. 
Drain all the water from the crockpot. 
Mix rootbeer, tomato sauce, honey, garlic, brown sugar, salt, pepper, and cumin in a bowl and then add it to the crockpot with the shredded pork. 
Cook another 3-4 hours in crockpot on low. (If you don't have this long, an hour or two will do.) 
Serve in a Cafe Rio salad or in burritos or tacos.

No comments:

Post a Comment