Sunday, February 9, 2014

Really Good White Cake

I really wanted this recipe to be good.  I've always prefered white cake to any other kind.  Having a good solid homemade version seemed like a really good idea.

These cupcakes were perfect. Moist and simple. Top with your favorite frosting and you won't be disappointed.

I subbed out the vegetable shortening for coconut oil.  Added bonus: I made my own buttermilk using the method below*.  I love when I can make something without having to go to the store.

* Homemade Buttermilk:  Place 1 tablespoon white vinegar in a liquid measuring cup.  Add milk until the total liquid reaches 1 cup.  Let stand for 5-10 minutes.














WHITE CAKE
  • 1 cup (8 ounces) butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup coconut oil
  • 3 cups sugar
  • 5 eggs, room temperature
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla 
  • 3 cups flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup buttermilk, room temperature

Preheat oven to 350.


Prepare three 9-inch round cake pans with butter and flour, taking care to remove all excess flour.  


In a stand mixer, with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and coconut oil.  


Slowly add sugar, one cup at a time, making sure to fully incorporate each cup before adding another.  


Add eggs one at a time, making sure to fully incorporate each egg before adding another.  


Add vanilla extract.  


Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.  


Add dry ingredients and buttermilk to the butter/coconut oil mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. 


Beat cake batter on high speed for about 5 seconds to fully incorporate all ingredients.  


Scrape down sides and bottom of bowl, making sure all ingredients are mixed well.  


Evenly distribute cake batter between cake pans and place pans into oven.  


Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.  


Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly in cake pans for about 5 minutes, then cool completely on a wire rack.


Note on Cupcakes:
Fill cupcake tins 1/2 full and bake for approximately 18 minutes.  Makes approximately 36 cupcakes.  


Source:  add a pinch

1 comment:

  1. I use coconut oil now in all my baking, I'm a huge fan. I also made buttermilk that way once, I may never buy it again!

    ReplyDelete